UTM 2.0 includes a redesign of the frontend for iOS 14 and introduces support for macOS 11. Due API limitations, the new design will not be available for iOS 13 and below. That means any feature that depends on the new design will also not be back-ported to iOS 13. Launching UTM 2.0 on iOS 14 will show the new design and launching UTM 2.0 on iOS 13 and below will show the old design. UTM 2.0 also updates the QEMU backend from 4.2.0 to 5.1.0 (for all supported iOS versions).
Installation instructions differ depending on what version of iOS you are running:
- iOS 11-13: You can install and run UTM using any version of AltStore (recommended) or iOS App Signer.
- iOS 14: You must either be jailbroken or follow the tethered launch instructions every time you launch UTM. Note that the jailbroken instructions are currently outdated. If you have a good guide, please let us know.
- iOS 14.2: You can use either the beta AltStore (1.4.2) or iOS App Signer. Note A11 and older devices are not supported by this method and must be jailbroken or use tethered launch.
As always, please report all bugs to Github
- (iOS 14, macOS): Fixed an issue with the welcome screen not updated for dark mode
- (iOS 14, macOS): Add back the option to specify boot device order.
- (macOS): Fix context menu not showing on right click on the sidebar
- (macOS): Fix play button not working on the sidebar
- (macOS): Sign release to prevent "damaged and cannot be opened" error
- (macOS): Hardened runtime and notarization to prevent gatekeeper issues and "internal error" on startup
- Cannot import any drives/ISO: there is a bug in iOS where an invalid "application-identifier" entitlement causes the file picker to not work. A fix for iOS App Signer is submitted and can be manually compiled. If you are using AltStore, you need use a free (not paid) developer account.
- Starting a VM goes to a black screen on iOS 14: you need to sign UTM with a "development" certificate. If you used a 3rd party signing service, it is probably signed with the wrong certificate. If you signed UTM yourself, make sure you chose a "development" certificate and in iOS App Signer, "No get-task-allow" is unchecked.
- Removable drives (changing images, etc) not working completely yet. For now, use the import drive feature instead to copy the disk image to the .utm bundle.
Please check the full list on Github and help report any bug you find that is not listed.