This release includes a number of backwards compatible enhancements and bug fixes.
- New sortby() method to Dataset and DataArray that enable sorting along dimensions (GH967). See the docs for examples. By Chun-Wei Yuan and Kyle Heuton.
- Add .dt accessor to DataArrays for computing datetime-like properties for the values they contain, similar to pandas.Series (GH358). By Daniel Rothenberg.
- Renamed internal dask arrays created by open_dataset to match new dask conventions (GH1343). By Ryan Abernathey.
- as_variable() is now part of the public API (GH1303). By Benoit Bovy.
- align() now supports join='exact', which raises an error instead of aligning when indexes to be aligned are not equal. By Stephan Hoyer.
- New function open_rasterio() for opening raster files with the rasterio library. See the docs for details. By Joe Hamman, Nic Wayand and Fabien Maussion
- Fix error from repeated indexing of datasets loaded from disk (GH1374). By Stephan Hoyer.
- Fix a bug where .isel_points wrongly assigns unselected coordinate to data_vars. By Keisuke Fujii.
- Tutorial datasets are now checked against a reference MD5 sum to confirm successful download (GH1392). By Matthew Gidden.
- DataArray.chunk() now accepts dask specific kwargs like Dataset.chunk() does. By Fabien Maussion.
- Support for engine='pydap' with recent releases of Pydap (3.2.2+), including on Python 3 (GH1174).
- A new gallery allows to add interactive examples to the documentation. By Fabien Maussion.
- Fix test suite failure caused by changes to pandas.cut function (GH1386). By Ryan Abernathey.
- Enhanced tests suite by use of @network decorator, which is controlled via --run-network-tests command line argument to py.test (GH1393). By Matthew Gidden.