v0.8.0 (2 August 2016)
This release includes new features and bug fixes, including several breaking changes.
- Dropped support for Python 2.6 (#855).
- Indexing on multi-index now drop levels, which is consistent with pandas. It also changes the name of the dimension / coordinate when the multi-index is reduced to a single index (#802).
- Contour plots no longer add a colorbar per default (#866). Filled contour plots are unchanged.
.datanow always returns an NumPy array-like object, even for 0-dimensional arrays with object dtype (#867). Previously,
.valuesreturned native Python objects in such cases. To convert the values of scalar arrays to Python objects, use the
- Groupby operations now support grouping over multidimensional variables. A new method called
xarray.Dataset.groupby_binshas also been added to allow users to specify bins for grouping. The new features are described in
examples.multidim. By Ryan Abernathey.
- DataArray and Dataset method
wherenow supports a
drop=Trueoption that clips coordinate elements that are fully masked. By Phillip J. Wolfram.
- New top level
mergefunction allows for combining variables from any number of
mergefor more details. By Stephan Hoyer.
- DataArray and Dataset method
resamplenow supports the
keep_attrs=Falseoption that determines whether variable and dataset attributes are retained in the resampled object. By Jeremy McGibbon.
- Better multi-index support in DataArray and Dataset
locmethods, which now behave more closely to pandas and which also accept dictionaries for indexing based on given level names and labels (see
multi-level indexing). By Benoit Bovy.
- New (experimental) decorators
xarray.register_dataarray_accessorfor registering custom xarray extensions without subclassing. They are described in the new documentation page on
internals. By Stephan Hoyer.
- Round trip boolean datatypes. Previously, writing boolean datatypes to netCDF formats would raise an error since netCDF does not have a
booldatatype. This feature reads/writes a
dtypeattribute to boolean variables in netCDF files. By Joe Hamman.
- 2D plotting methods now have two new keywords (
cbar_kwargs), allowing more control on the colorbar (#872). By Fabien Maussion.
- New Dataset method
filter_by_attrs, akin to
netCDF4.Dataset.get_variables_by_attributes, to easily filter data variables using its attributes. Filipe Fernandes.
- Attributes were being retained by default for some resampling operations when they should not. With the
keep_attrs=Falseoption, they will no longer be retained by default. This may be backwards-incompatible with some scripts, but the attributes may be kept by adding the
keep_attrs=Trueoption. By Jeremy McGibbon.
- Concatenating xarray objects along an axis with a MultiIndex or PeriodIndex preserves the nature of the index (#875). By Stephan Hoyer.
- Fixed bug in arithmetic operations on DataArray objects whose dimensions are numpy structured arrays or recarrays #861, #837. By Maciek Swat.
decode_cf_timedeltanow accepts arrays with
ndim>1 (#842). This fixes issue #665. Filipe Fernandes.
- Fix a bug where
xarray.ufuncsthat take two arguments would incorrectly use to numpy functions instead of dask.array functions (#876). By Stephan Hoyer.
- Support for pickling functions from
xarray.ufuncs(#901). By Stephan Hoyer.
Variable.copy(deep=True)no longer converts MultiIndex into a base Index (#769). By Benoit Bovy.
- Fixes for groupby on dimensions with a multi-index (#867). By Stephan Hoyer.
- Fix printing datasets with unicode attributes on Python 2 (#892). By Stephan Hoyer.
- Fixed incorrect test for dask version (#891). By Stephan Hoyer.
pandas.Indexis passed. By Stephan Hoyer.
xarray.plot.contournow plots the correct number of contours (#866). By Fabien Maussion.