Version 2.8 is the next stable release after Version 2.6.
Version 2.8 is derived from Version 2.7.10 with slight documentation updates. Here is a summary of changes between the last stable version – 2.6 – and this version. For full details, refer to the release notes.
- For hardware mixers with a restricted range (including many cheaper USB DACS), the general
volume_range_dbcan be used to specify a wider range than the hardware provides – the extra range is provided by software.
- Volume-setting metadata is now sent even when the volume level is to be ignored by Shairport Sync itself.
- Shairport Sync waits a little longer before asking for missing packets to be resent. Sometimes packets are just arriving slightly out of order and don't need to be asked for again.
- The build scripts have been modified to be a little more compatible with standard practice.
manmanual and the html version of it are automagically rebuilt if
xml2manand friends are available.
- A Continuous Integration (CI) system – Travis CI – is now used to do some limited build checking (thanks guys!).
- Support added for compiling on Cygwin.
rtptimetags to metadata and picture metadata.
- Replaced and improved the dither algorithm used with the software volume control. The new dither code gives a two bit peak-to-peak dither based on a Triangular Probability Distribution Function (TPDF).
- Disabled picture sending if pictures haven’t been asked for.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Shairport Sync from correctly setting the hardware mixer volume if it had been altered externally.
- Modified the shutdown behaviour so that a shutdown followed immediately by a play request is handled properly. This was causing iOS 9.2 sometimes to drop the Airplay link between tunes.
- Fixed a data-alignment bug that would cause a crash in certain circumstances on ARM processors with metadata enabled.
- Corrected the names for a few settings tags.
- Fixed some typos and misspellings.
- Miscellaneous small bug fixes.