This stable release is the culmination of the 2.3.X sequence of development releases.
Changes from the previous stable version -- 2.2.5 -- are summarised here:
- Settings are now read from a configuration file. Command-line settings are supported but discouraged.
- Metadata is now supported -- it can be delivered to a unix pipe for processing by a helper application. See https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync-metadata-reader for a sample metadata reader.
- Raw PCM audio can be delivered to standard output ("stdout") or to a unix pipe. The internal architecture has changed considerably to support this.
- Support for compilation on OpenWrt back to Attitude Adjustment.
- Support for unencrypted audio streams -- compatible with, e.g. Whaale.
- Uses the libconfig library.
- Runs on a wider range of platforms, including Arch Linux and Fedora.
- Bug fixes.
Please note that building instructions have changed slightly from the previous version.
-t hardware/software option has been deprecated in the alsa back end.