Salty Saga 8.1.0 is a hard forking, point release release for Mainnet and is scheduled to fork to hard fork 16 on block 641111 (estimated at October 12th 01:00:00 2020 UTC). All Service Node operators must upgrade to 8.1.x by block 641111 or they will be decommissioned and deregistered by the network.
As of this upgrade, Service Node operators must also update their Loki Storage Service to at-least version 2.0.7 and Lokinet to at-least version 0.8.0 or otherwise risk decommissioning and deregistration. See: https://docs.loki.network/ServiceNodes/DebianPackageGuide/#upgrading for more information.
The blockchain consensus algorithm shifts to Proof of Stake starting at hard fork 16 replacing Proof of Work. Upgraded Service Nodes will automatically begin participating in Pulse when required and no further intervention is required. For a high level overview see: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-improvement-proposals/blob/master/LIPS/LIP-5.md
As already happens for block checkpointing duties, Service Nodes are required to participate in pulse quorums or risk being deregistered. There is nothing special SN operators need to do: once upgraded your node will automatically begin producing blocks with other Service Nodes as soon as the hard fork block arrives.
Fixed Staking Requirement
The staking requirement for a Service Node decreases to a fixed 15000 LOKI starting from HF16 (a requirement drop from just under 16400 immediately before the hard fork block). See: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/issues/1221 for more details.
LNS Lokinet Namespace
At hard fork 16, the Lokinet namespace is open for name registration in LNS. Lokinet names can be purchased for 1, 2, 5, or 10 years and renewed at any point with the following burn requirements.
|Year(s)||Loki Burn Requirement|
Lokinet names can be purchased via the CLI wallet i.e.
lns_buy_mapping mywebsitename.loki dw68y1xhptqbhcm5s8aaaip6dbopykagig5q5u1za4c7pzxto77y.loki
For more help (for example, to make a multi-year purchase), see
help lns_buy_mapping in the wallet
LNS Lighter Encryption/Pricing Update
Starting from HF16, the price of a Session LNS record will decrease from 20 to 15 Loki.
The encryption scheme for records in LNS has been updated to a faster and more lightweight scheme. Pre-existing LNS records will need to be updated to take advantage of the newer method and is highly recommended. Updates can be done once per name to upgrade their encryption scheme via the CLI wallet, i.e.
lns_update_mapping <record name>
For more help, see
help lns_update_mapping in the wallet.
The wallet also now remembers names you've registered
Service Node Credit Retention
Service Nodes now retain their credit on recommissioning depending on the duration of credit consumed whilst decommissioned. For each block whilst decommissioned consumes 2 blocks of available credit when recommissioned.
For example, if you had 1000 blocks of credit and are decommissioned for 150 blocks, you'll get recommissioned with 700 blocks of credit. If you were decommissioned for 500 or more blocks then you'll get decommissioned with 0 blocks of credit.
From upstream Monero, the new signature scheme reduces transaction size and processing time, see: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1255.
HTTP/JSON RPC Overhaul
A almost complete re-write and overhaul of the HTTP/JSON RPC server in the Daemon improving reliability and performance of communication between the Wallet and Daemon, see: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1208.
We've had several contributions from community members leading up to this release and we're grateful for the contributions.
- @sarawut11 Rip out configurable decimal places https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1280
- @steelslayer091 show_transfers displays column headers https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1223
- @javabudd Add mingw unbound to 32/64 bit windows documentation https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1238
- @darcys22 Cache lns records https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1151
- @darcys22 CMake needs curl on ubuntu to compile https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1268
New github branch policy
Starting in this release, we're switching over our default branch for loki-core to the
dev branch where all the action happens (i.e. new things for loki 9.x), and we've created a new
stable branch that will contain any 8.x updates. Previously the "front page" branch was the
master branch, which followed our stable release. If you have your own git clone following the master branch you'll need to switch it to either the
dev branch to keep up!
We've had over 2200 commits in preparation for Salty Saga with some notable ones listed here.
- Lokinet name registration https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1252
- CLSAG signatures https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1255
- Fixed Service Node staking requirement of 15,000 LOKI https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/issues/1221
- Changes to Service Node uptime credits https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1204
- Update precomputed block hashes https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1290
- Deprecate Monero style keys for Service Nodes https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1240
- Fix broken sync timer https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1206
- Switch to C++17 https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/pull/1179
- Blink: Remove deprecated bool blink in wallet RPC interface #1294
- Fix max uint64_t errors when contributing to a reserved spot #1278
- Don't overwrite mainnet lns.db for test suite/fakechain #1249
- Add loki-sn-keys SN key management tool #1241
- Service node contribution fixes #1215
And many, many more commits and bug fixes see: https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/compare/v7.1.10...v8.1.0
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA512 The following hashes have been signed for verification using keejef's GPG keys located in the loki core repository at https://github.com/loki-project/loki-core/blob/master/utils/gpg_keys/KeeJef.asc. SHA256 Hashes loki-linux-x86_64-8.1.0.tar.xz b58e56fa2fc3364484d67de1b328193bffad331b3388336a655529e9da542be4 loki-macos-8.1.0.tar.xz 7bef20a60fffd1ed235967bfb9d993a1ad3d57e448ea13edc76a52132685a366 loki-win-x64-8.1.0.zip 73ecd05249d5c551fba8847b878cd49fb1b7ede5e7c377d45d81f056c8a57af0 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1 iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJfeUd8AAoJEKyXFIlc5F1V1G4H/3upIX04unefj+P8+RJyVonA k9kfQZOy6AonPDf6Soa+CEatpFnSCLiNfBPxtP5gQYJgKAjgnQJ/LkA7qEj+7YLq d75Q5SIit/lCEzv0ciEDHgyWR19KNCh9Xf1qOMJYqdJ44aNeLNHj/0kM9R4UqyDQ w0aF87UTMvR0WQ1KhgcfotK76MiM8l1er8qiyQiXOFNpNf9nIHjxNulf6Ob9YreG be5uisGVeGPNIWvpwHvKEibgWkBm3iBJixKc8ulXAiAH8PG5cVGZgU12VrpXPmUC sYw+k66I30mEzonzxRhZMyacj8bXuTp7QTh+gyQoPYhkhCwTPSel/5ESjLP7lGA= =YefJ -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----