Breaking Changes (You MUST read this before you upgrade!)
⚠ Following their deprecation in version 1.5, the cert-manager API versions v1alpha2, v1alpha3, and v1beta1 have been removed. You must ensure that all cert-manager custom resources are stored in etcd at version v1 and that all cert-manager
CustomResourceDefinitions have only v1 as the stored version.
Since release 1.7,
cmctl can automatically migrate any deprecated API resources. Please download
cmctl-v1.7.0-beta.0 and read Removing Deprecated API Resources for full instructions.
Removal of Deprecated APIs
In 1.7 the cert-manager API versions v1alpha2, v1alpha3, and v1beta1 have been removed from the custom resource definitions (CRDs). You will notice that the YAML manifest files are much smaller as a result. These APIs have been deprecated since 1.5.
In this release, we have added a new sub-command to the cert-manager CLI (
cmctl upgrade migrate-api-version), which you SHOULD run BEFORE upgrading cert-manager to 1.7. Please read Removing Deprecated API Resources for full instructions.
This is the first version of cert-manager which relies on Server-Side Apply. We are using it to properly manage the annotations and labels on the TLS Secret. For this reason, cert-manager 1.7 requires at least Kubernetes 1.18.
In this release, we introduce a new configuration file for the cert-manager-webhook. Instead of configuring the webhook using command-line flags, you can now modify the webhook Deployment to mount a ConfigMap containing a configuration file. Read the WebhookConfiguration Schema for more information.
In future releases, we will introduce configuration files for the other cert-manager components: controller-manager and cainjector.
Thanks again to all open-source contributors with commits in this release, including:
And thanks as usual to coderanger for helping people out on the Slack
#cert-manager channel; it's a huge help and much appreciated.
Changes by Kind
cmctl upgrade migrateto ensure all CRD resources are stored at 'v1' prior to upgrading to v1.7 onwards (#4711, @munnerz)
- Add acme-http01-solver-nameservers flag to enable custom nameservers usage for ACME HTT01 challenges propagation checks. (#4287, @Adphi)
- Add goimports verification step for CI (#4710, @SgtCoDFish)
- Add support for loading webhook flags/options from a WebhookConfiguration file on disk (#4546, @munnerz)
- Added a makefile-based build workflow which doesn't depend on bazel (#4554, @SgtCoDFish)
- Added a new Helm chart parameter "prometheus.servicemonitor.honorLabels", which sets the "honor_labels" field of the Prometheus scrape config. (#4608, @thirdeyenick)
- Added additionalOutputFormats parameter to allow
CombinedPEM(key + cert bundle) formats. (#4598, @seuf)
- Certificate Secrets are now managed by the APPLY API call, rather than UPDATE/CREATE. The issuing controller actively reconciles Certificate SecretTemplate's against corresponding Secrets, garbage collecting and correcting key/value changes. (#4638, @JoshVanL)
- Fixed a bug that can cause
cmctl versionto erroneously display the wrong webhook pod versions when older failed pods are present. (#4616) (#4615, @johnwchadwick)
Bug or Regression
- Fix unexpected exit when multiple DNS providers are passed to
- Fixes a bug where a previous failed CertificateRequest was picked up during the next issuance. Thanks to @MattiasGees for raising the issue and help with debugging! (#4688, @irbekrm)
- Improve checksum validation in makefile-based tool installation (#4680, @SgtCoDFish)
- The HTTP-01 ACME solver now uses the
kubernetes.io/ingress.classannotation instead of the
spec.ingressClassNamein created Ingress resources. (#4762, @jakexks)
cmctl experimental installcommand now uses the cert-manager namespace. This fixes a bug which was introduced in release 1.6 that caused cert-manager to be installed in the default namespace. (#4763, @wallrj)
Other (Cleanup or Flake)
- Added helm value
clock_time_seconds_gaugemetric which returns the current clock time, based on seconds since 1970/01/01 UTC (#4640, @JoshVanL)
- Adds an automated script for cert-manager developers to update versions of kind used for dev + testing (#4574, @SgtCoDFish)
- Bump kind image versions (#4593, @SgtCoDFish)
- Clean up: Remove
v1beta1form the webhook's admissionReviewVersions as cert-manager no longer supports v1.16 (#4639, @JoshVanL)
- Cleanup: Pipe feature gate flag to the e2e binary. Test against shared Feature Gate map for feature enabled and whether they should be tested against. (#4703, @JoshVanL)
- Ensures 1 hour backoff between errored calls for new ACME Orders. (#4616, @irbekrm)
- Ensures that in cases where an attempt to finalize an already finalized order is made, the originally issued certificate is used (instead of erroring and creating a new ACME order) (#4697, @irbekrm)
- No longer log an error when a Certificate is deleted during normal operation. (#4637, @JoshVanL)
- Removed deprecated API versions from the cert-manager CRDs (#4635, @wallrj)
- Update distroless base images for cert-manager (#4706, @SgtCoDFish)
- Upgrade Kubernetes dependencies to v0.23.1 (#4675, @munnerz)