This is the next beta version for Zettlr 1.3. Please make sure to test it extensively and report any bugs. Thank you!
See the accompanying blogpost and the changelog below.
GUI and Functionality
Attention, this update breaks three shortcuts: To view the file list, the tree view, and the attachment sidebar, you need to use
Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+1 (for toggling the sidebar), and
Cmd/Ctrl+? for toggling the attachments. The shortcuts for
Cmd/Ctrl+[number] are now reserved for recent documents!
Attention: Due to changes in the configuration, this update resets your setting concerning text snippets. They are now called "file information" and the corresponding setting will be set to "Show", regardless of your current setting.
- New Feature: Zettlr can now automatically switch between light and dark mode either based on a fixed schedule or, if you are using macOS or Windows, based on the appearance of the operating system.
- New Feature: Add words to the user defined dictionary. You can remove words by removing them in the "Editor" tab in the preferences.
- New Feature: You can now provide a default path for images that you paste onto the editor in the preferences. If you provide a relative path, it'll be relative to the file.
- New Feature: In the preferences you can now switch between the three themes of the app:
- Berlin: A modern sans-serif theme, the default.
- Frankfurt: A clean serif-based theme with royal blue highlights.
- Bielefeld: For Markdown purists, this theme features creme colours and a monospaced font.
- New Feature: Rearrange sections in your documents by dragging the headings in the Table of Contents popup around (Note: Only works with ATX-Style headings!). Please note that the last section will always count until the very last line, therefore including footnotes and references.
- Popup redesign: Now the popups aren't semi-transparent anymore, have rounded edges and are much more crisp. Therefore it's even easier to read them.
- Display contributors tab on the about dialog containing the names of all authors of the translation files.
- You can now customize the pandoc command to your liking using several variables.
- Added syntax highlighting for
- Go (keyword: "go")
- Kotlin (keyword: "kotlin")
- Add shortcuts for easier access to the recent documents.
- HTML export now relies on Pandoc, if available, and only falls back to Showdown if Pandoc hasn't been found on the system.
- You can now edit Math formulae by clicking on them.
- The tag count is now shown next to the tags in the tag cloud.
- During global search, the search results will include all files once at most, so files within virtual directories, for example, will be excluded to prevent duplicate files.
- The preview images when pasting an image from clipboard load faster.
- Using the Debug menu, you can now test the new themes (Berlin, Frankfurt, and Bielefeld) during beta to help us finalise them!
- Formatting marks at the beginning or end of a misspelled word are now excluded from the selection.
- Now, if trying to follow a link without a protocol (e.g.
https://www.google.com), Zettlr will automatically assume
httpsas the protocol to make sure it can be opened by the web browser. Correctly configured servers should automatically redirect you to
http, if applicable.
- Zettlr now highlights the full link when you right-click it to give visual feedback that the context menu options "Copy Link" or "Open Link" will indeed use the full link, and not just a part of it.
- The dictionary selection is now more compact than before.
- The editor automatically selects the word under cursor on requesting a context menu, making both the code more clean and enabling you to simply right-click a word to make it, for instance, bold.
- Now you can comment out selections of text using the new shortcut
- You can now also link to files on your local filesystem from within Markdown files. Zettlr will try to open them. The following algorithm is applied internally: First, try to open the link just like that. Second, try to open the current file's folder plus the link. Third, try to open https://<link>. If all three methods don't yield a result, Zettlr will show you a notification.
- The GUI is not locked anymore while a popup is shown.
- The tag preferences have been updated.
- CodeMirror by default sets the cursor to the beginning or end of a whole line (with line wrapping). You can now change that behaviour, so that the
Endbuttons bring you to the beginning and end of the visible lines, not the logical lines.
- Fixed a bug that would, on certain actions, lead to unwanted behaviour when using the menu items for these actions instead of the shortcut.
- The last opened file will now be added to the recent documents on start up.
- The window's title will now only contain the currently opened file's name, and never the full path, even for root files.
- The dictionary loading mechanism works far more reliably now.
- Fixed a bug with checking and unchecking task items in the editor.
- Fixed an error in option validation.
- Fixed the translations for the pagenumbering sections in the PDF preferences and project settings.
- Fixed a small bug concerning case insensitive searching.
- Fix for single-letter Math preview.
- Fixed the "remove from virtual directory" command.
- Design fix for dialog tabs on small screens.
- Fix automatic rendering of Markdown links containing brackets (especially a problem for Wikipedia links)
- Improved performance during window resizing and moving.
index.htmand moved it to a new
main.jsin the renderer process.
- Links will not be rendered within comments anymore so that you can escape Markdown links as expected using backticks.
- Fixed wrong cursor positioning after the headings have been altered.
- Finally exchanged all mentions of "snippets" with "File metadata" or information, respectively, to reflect the fact that text fragments (a.k.a. "snippets") have been ditched several months ago.
- Fixed an issue that prevented from re-creating writing targets after deleting them without a restart of the app.
- Fixed inconsistent behaviour with the document search.
- When trying to close the main window immediately after modifying the open document, you will now not be prompted to save the document anymore. All changes will be saved automatically.
Under the Hood
- Re-throw errors during command run in Zettlr main class.
- Moved the dictionary to its own dedicated provider for more versatility and improved upon its functionality.
- Created an appearance provider which takes care of switching the Zettlr theming based upon user choices.
- Switched from the
electron-buildtoolchain to the API.
- Switched to
- Some CSS cleanup, again.
- Changed the way popups are closed from an invisible barrier div to a simple click detection handler.
- Added Table and Strikethrough support to the copy & paste operations.